Airport History

Willard Airport is one of only two commercial airports in the country owned and operated by an educational institution. Willard Airport, often referred to by its FAA designation "CMI," was named for former University of Illinois president Arthur Cutts Willard. Formal dedication of the airport took place on October 26, 1945 with the first scheduled airline service in 1954.

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign established its nationally recognized Institute of Aviation at Willard Airport in 1946. The University takes full advantage of training and research opportunities made possible by the location of the Institute on the grounds of Willard Airport.

Willard Airport is served by American Airlines which offers convenient, non-stop service to Chicago's O'Hare Airport and the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. Connections are available from these major hubs to vitually anywhere on the globe.

Willard Airport is also home to a private jet service: FlightStar.

For facility information of interest to aviators, link to the following sites:

AirNav.com

G.C.R. & Associates